CME to be named for former Gov. Haley Barbour

The Center for Manufacturing Excellence at the University of Mississippi will be named in honor of former Gov. Haley Barbour, a decision approved by the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning.

The proposal to name the facility for Barbour was presented during the board’s regular monthly meeting on Thursday, March 15 on the Oxford campus. An official dedication ceremony is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Oct. 18, in front of the building in the Circle.

“The concept of the Center for Manufacturing Excellence was conceived by Gov. Barbour,” said CME director James Vaughan. “This concept is based on interdisciplinary educational opportunities within an innovative academic learning model that will provide our students with practical experiences, fundamental knowledge and creative practices needed to lead the world of modern manufacturing.”

Other university officials are pleased with the board’s decision.

“It is a privilege for the university and a personal privilege for me to move forward with this naming,” Chancellor Dan Jones said. “All of us in the Ole Miss family are grateful to Gov. Barbour for all he has done for our university and for our state. Without his effort, commitment and support, the Haley Barbour Center for Manufacturing Excellence would not exist.”

Perhaps no one was more pleased with the decision than Barbour himself.

“I am honored that the University of Mississippi has named this new Center for Manufacturing Excellence for me,” he said. “During my terms as governor, one of our most important accomplishments was the creation of higher skilled, higher paying manufacturing jobs. I am grateful to the university for this personal recognition, but even more grateful for the important work that has been and will be done at the CME to support a wide variety of manufacturing industries and companies in Mississippi and beyond.”