Green Fund Legislation to be revived in ASB Senate

File

The Associated Student Body Senate will once again view legislation in support of the green fund tonight.
The initial legislation brought up in late November saw a setback after making it to the desk of ASB president Taylor McGraw, who vetoed the legislation.
McGraw said “mandatory student fees for narrow purposes” was his greatest concern.
Looking back on his decision, McGraw said he does not really consider it as a veto, as he sent the legislation back to the committee with notes. He also contacted Taylor Cook, the most visible student proponent of the green fund.
“What I told them was that a lot of the unknowns in the original resolution needed to be worked out before Senate, or I, rubber stamped it,” McGraw said.
McGraw also said he wants it known that he is in favor of the legislation, having spoken with some administrators about how they can make it work. Before the break, McGraw said he spent some time with Cook, Zach Jarjoura and several senators to work on it.
Senator Will Bedwell, co-author of the legislation, said the main change is how the options for funding were listed.
“Instead of passing it with three options like last time, we now only have one option,” he said.
The new funding model will consist of $4 added to each student’s tuition, though students may be able to opt out, and the university will match dollar per dollar.
“They made some changes and have sent me a good-looking copy,” McGraw said. “I think all the right changes are in there.”
Bedwell said he believes this bill is just as strong as the last, and he also said he believes the bill will pass through the Senate and Taylor’s desk.
The campus-wide Green Fund proposition that passed in November would have been supported by a student fee of $5 to $12, which would be used to make the campus a more sustainable environment.
The project will invest in renewable energy and help fund energy efficiency and sustainability projects created by students, faculty and staff, according to the initiative’s website.
Specific projects the green fund favors include installing energy-efficient lighting, retrofitting systems in existing buildings to make them more energy efficient, weatherizing existing buildings and installing SmartSync meters in all campus buildings, which monitor energy usage in order to help reduce electricity usage.
In late October, 85 percent of the 2,433 students who voted on the green fund voted in favor of the proposition.
For more information on the Green Fund, visit http://olemissgreenfund.org/.