Joe David Leads Rebels At BancorpSouth Intercollegiate

MADISON — Joe David earned a top-20 finish while Blake Morris and Joe Lewis each shot a 73 in the final round to lead the Ole Miss men’s golf team in a rain-shortened BancorpSouth Intercollegiate here at Reunion Golf and Country Club.

The Rebels finished ninth after shooting a 297 in a second round that was first postponed due to thunderstorms on Monday afternoon and once again Tuesday morning. The third round was canceled.

Wichita State took the tournament championship by one stroke, holding off second-place Central Arkansas.

Jonathan Fly of Memphis took medalist honors, shooting an 8-under for the tournament.

David led the Rebels with a 14th-place finish at 1-under for his ninth top-20 of the year. The senior got off to a rocky start in the round on Monday before play was suspended, but rolled in three birdies on his final 10 holes the following morning to finish with a 2-over 74.

Morris and Lewis notched the best scores of the second round for the Rebels. Morris birdied two of his final five holes to finish at 1-over for the round.

Lewis bounced back from Monday’s play suspension well, going 1-under in his final 15 holes.

The Rebels will have two weeks off before they travel to Sea Island, Ga., for the SEC Championship April 20-22.