LOU Symphony Orchestra concludes season tonight

Jon Haywood / The Daily Mississippian
Jon Haywood / The Daily Mississippian

The Lafayette-Oxford-University Symphony will conclude its 2011-12 concert season in the Gertrude C. Ford Center tonight at 8 p.m.

The LOU Symphony differs from other groups within the University of Mississippi music department in that it is made up of not only students but also faculty and community members.

Ron Vernon, UM professor emeritus of music and director of the orchestra, said the group is primarily a student group, but it’s also “very much an orchestra for the community.”

Diane Wang, a music instructor, said the group’s diversity benefits both the students and the others involved.

“Traditionally in the South, band is the big musical thing, so it is pretty unique to have a chance to play in (an orchestra),” Wang said. “A lot of times, faculty members act as mentors to the students when they’re playing with them in the group. (The faculty members) have a lot more professional experience than students, so it’s good feedback for students to be able to listen to a faculty member as they play along with them.”

Jodi Gilles, a student in her second year of playing for the orchestra who is also involved in marching and concert bands, said the orchestra greatly benefits the students.

“Orchestra is definitely a lot harder, and it has made me a better musician,” Gilles said

Gilles also said the community aspect makes the group special. 

“We’re just kind of a melting pot of everyone in the surrounding area,” Gilles said.

The concert will open with Georg Philipp Telemann’s “Don Quixote Suite.” The first half of the show will also include Cécile Chaminade’s “Flute Concertino,” featuring Wang as the faculty flute soloist for the piece.

The second half of the show will feature Edward German’s “Henry the VIII” and the Academic Festival Overture by Johannes Brahms.

The orchestra will also play a children’s concert at 11 a.m. for the schools in Oxford and Lafayette County.
Tickets are $10 for general admission and $6 for students. Tickets can be purchased at the UM Box Office in the Student Union or by calling 662-915-7411.