Man charged in Miss State shooting

A man has been arrested and is being held in the shooting death of John Sanderson, a student at Mississippi State University.  
Mason Perry Jones, 21, of Jackson, was arrested in DeSoto County on March 26 on capital murder charges, said MSU Police Chief Georgia Lindley.
“Our detectives have done outstanding investigative work over the past 48 hours, with tremendous assistance from the U.S. Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force, as well as Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Mississippi Highway Patrol, Starkville Police and Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Office,” she said. “We appreciate the hard work and cooperation of all involved.”
Perry was originally detained for an outstanding warrant for robbery.
Two other men are considered persons of interest in the case.
Richard Griffin, supervisory agent for the U.S. Marshals Service in Jackson, said Jones was arrested Sunday on a robbery warrant from Jackson. Griffin said Jones was traveling north on a bus from Jackson under an assumed name.
Marshals were acting on a tip when they arrested Jones on the robbery warrant when the bus stopped in Memphis. Griffin said he wasn’t sure if Jones planned to travel beyond Memphis.
In an interview with Jackson TV station WLBT, Sanderson’s stepfather Frank Patton said, “You anticipate losing relatives as they get up in age. You never anticipate accidents, but what you don’t consciously prepare for is losing your child, especially in a way such as this. I haven’t fully got my hands around it and I don’t know if I ever will, but I know that its not something that is ever going to go away.”
Patton, a recently retired Army National Guard helicopter pilot, also explained what police officers told him about the incident.
“There were three individuals in the room, my son and two other guys, and that they did go out the window when John opened the door and was shot but it was on the first floor,” he said. “I don’t know whether someone sustained injuries from the blast or the fall or whatever.”
MSU President Mark Keenum said in a statement on the school’s website Sunday that the killing of Sanderson was the first time a student had been shot on campus.
MSU spokesperson Maridith Geuder said police received a call about the shooting at Evans Hall around 10 p.m. Saturday and police were on the scene within a minute. Sanderson was taken to Oktibbeha County Hospital, where he later died.
Officials said three male suspects fled the building in a blue Crown Victoria.
Sanderson was one of two college students in Mississippi gunned down over the weekend.
Nolan Ryan Henderson III, a 19-year-old Jackson State University freshman from Atlanta, died early Sunday after being shot in the face at an off-campus apartment pool party in Jackson.
Henderson’s grandmother, Alma Henderson, described the slain JSU student’s father, Nolan Henderson Jr., as “so broken down” over the loss of his son and described her grandson Ryan (as he was called by family) as a quiet individual who never gave his family any trouble.
“He had a father who encouraged him to do what was right,” she said. “He was with his father all the time.”