Newfound focus for Wells

Since arriving on campus at Ole Miss, outside hitter Allegra Wells has been a dominant player on the volleyball court. However, Wells, now a senior, almost passed up volleyball as a whole.
Tyler Jackson/The Daily Mississippian

As the old saying goes, “Everything happens for a reason.” 

Yes, it’s one of the oldest cliches in the book, but sometimes it’s really true. At least that is certainly the case for Lady Rebel volleyball senior outside hitter Allegra Wells, who almost never played volleyball.

Believe it or not, there was a time when Wells only worried about one volleyball game a year. That was in high school during an annual event that pitted the volleyball and basketball teams against each other in each sport. Wells was a member of the basketball team and was recruited by the volleyball coach after she saw her play in the event her sophomore year.

It took some convincing, but Wells eventually gave in, tried out that year and made the team. Her basketball coach did not like her playing two sports, so she chose volleyball and has stayed with it.

As a junior last season, Wells led the Lady Rebels with 290 kills, averaging 2.66 kills per set. She also recorded 18 double-digit kill performances, including a season-high 18 kills in an upset win over LSU.

“As Allegra goes by her attacking, the team kind of lives and dies with it,” head coach Joe Getzin said. “She’s proven over the years that she’s been able to handle and shoulder a large load for the team.”

The past two off seasons were different stories for Wells.

Two years ago, Wells trained alongside former Ole Miss Rebel track and field star Brittney Reese, who recently won a gold medal for the U.S. in the women’s long jump at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Wells and Reese bonded during that time, and the volleyball star received a ton of advice. However, one thing that has really stuck with her is the focus it takes to achieve success.

“She’s very focused when she’s on the track,” Wells said of Reese. “She doesn’t let a lot of things distract her; she’s very motivated, I don’t even know how to explain her focus.”

Wells was poised for a great senior year, but this past offseason she experienced knee problems that forced her to undergo surgery in July to repair a torn meniscus.

“Before (the surgery) in June, I was working out with volleyball every morning for 6:30 a.m. workouts,” Wells said. “I have no idea (how I tore it). My leg had been cramping up on me since last season, so we think it had been torn.”

The surgery could have easily put a damper on what Wells hopes to be a stellar senior campaign, but so far, it hasn’t noticeably slowed her down. The Garland, Texas, native has played in all 41 sets this season and is second on the team in kills with 114.

“Honestly, I just kind of play hard and do what I have to do,” Wells said. “Put balls down when I’m supposed to and be goofy as always. That’s what I’m best known for.”

It’s easy to see how Wells has improved her dedication and focus over the last two years and applied it to her volleyball performance.

“She’s matured as an athlete and realizes that it’s not just in the game when games are won or lost, it’s in the practice situations,” Getzin said. “I think that’s probably the biggest difference we’ve seen is her taking on more responsibility in practice and drill situations.”

For continuing coverage of Ole Miss volleyball, follow @thedm_sports and @CamalPetro on Twitter.