Ole MIss Signing Day Primer: Announcements and other notes

Photo Courtesy: Anniston Star

Greyshirting

A greyshirt is when a recruit delays his enrollment for a semester so his eligibility clock doesn’t start until January of the next year. The player can take less than a full load of classes and work out but can’t practice or play with the team. It is used by schools to create more room to sign players when scholarships are tight. 

Ole Miss has used this tactic quite a bit in recent years, and this year is no different. John Carroll (Ala.), defensive end Kameron Wood and Itawamba Agricultural quarterback Maikhail Miller signed with last year’s class, greyshirted and will count toward this year’s class numbers. They enrolled full time in January.

For this year’s signing class, Trinity (Ala.) kicker Andy Pappanastos, who committed to the Rebels on Sunday, could be a greyshirt candidate but could also receive a scholarship if there is room in this year’s class.

Among uncommitted prospects, Washington (Ga.) running back Justin Taylor has a tough decision to make. A longtime Alabama commitment, Taylor was told by Alabama head coach Nick Saban that because of a knee injury that caused Taylor to miss all but one week of senior season, he would have to greyshirt and sign with Alabama in 2013. He recently visited Ole Miss and has an offer to sign and enroll immediately in Oxford. He is a player to watch today, as he will decide between Alabama, Kentucky and Ole Miss today.

Class limit of 25

After complaints of oversigning, including former head coach Houston Nutt, who signed 37 players in 2009, the Southeastern Conference passed a rule that limited the number of prospects conference schools could sign at 25. Because of the inability to oversign in the event a prospect or two does not qualify, schools have to be more conscious of players’ ability to qualify and stay in school once they get on campus.

In addition to evaluating prospects on the field, coaching staffs now have to spend even more time going through transcripts and character evaluations of players. Because of the new rule, schools can ill-afford to sign players who will not qualify.

The hope is that because so much emphasis is now being placed on a recruit’s ability to qualify, high school football players in future recruiting classes will put a premium on getting their grades in order earlier in their high school careers.

Signing Day Announcements

Richie Brown
Linebacker
Long Beach
Scout.com: 3 Stars
Rivals.com: 4 Stars
Vitals: 6’2,” 228 pounds
Schools Considering: LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Tennessee

Brad Culp
Wide Receiver
Fayetteville (Ark.)
Scout.com: NR
Rivals.com 3 Stars
Vitals: 6’2,” 180 pounds
Schools Considering: Arkansas, Ole Miss and North Carolina

Trae Elston
Defensive Back
Oxford (Ala.)
Scout.com: 3 Stars
Rivals.com: 3 Stars
Vitals: 6’0,” 180 pounds
Schools Considering: LSU, Ole Miss and Oklahoma State

Khalid Henderson
Linebacker
Pebblebrook (Ga.)
Scout.com: 3 Stars
Rivals.com: 3 Stars
Vitals: 6’1,” 200 pounds
Schools Considering: Kentucky and Ole Miss

Cordarrelle Patterson
Wide Receiver
Hutchinson C.C. (Kan.)
Scout.com: 5 Stars
Rivals.com: 4 Stars
Vitals: 6’4,” 200 pounds
Schools Considering: Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee

Justin Taylor
Running Back
Washington (Ga.)
Scout.com: 3 Stars
Rivals.com: 3 Stars
Vitals: 5’10,” 208 pounds
School Considering: Alabama, Kentucky and Ole Miss (currently committed to Alabama)