Preview to Saturday Musicians at the Caterpillar Main Stage

Rooster Blues (10 a.m.)
Rooster Blues is a self-described, Hattiesburg-based brother-duo that hails from the birthplace of rock ’n roll. These Jimi Hendrix acolytes have been laying down their blend of blues, funk, jazz and good old-fashioned rock ‘n roll into an electrifying live show since 2003. Since then, they’ve recorded three albums and picked up a bluegrass flavor to their style. Joel Vance, drummer, mandolin player and vocalist, said, “We are very excited to play Double Decker this year. Oxford is such a cool place and this event is always a great success. Can’t wait to hit the stage.”

Star and Micey (11:30 a.m.)
The recently voted “Best in Memphis” act has won over the ears of many with their unique blend of soul, folk, and pop found on their 2009 debut album. Since then, they’ve recorded a new EP in Oxford’s own Sweet Tea Studios with Modest Mouse, Elvis Costello, and Buddy Guy producer Dennis Herring.  The folk pop trio has worked with everyone from Jack Oblivian to members of The Black Crowes and Big Star, and they’re excited to be invited to, in their own words, “one of the best music festivals around.”

Grace Askew (1 p.m.)
It’s not often that a female singer gets compared favorably to Tom Waits, but Grace and her band make a fusion of country and lounge-y jazz that falls right into Waits territory. Grace and her band, The Black Market Goods, are no stranger to Oxford and its music scene. Her newest EP, “Until They Lay Me Down To Rest,” was partially recorded here, and she’s bringing her signature sound back to the town. Her jazz/folk combination is not something to be missed.

Ponderosa (2:30 p.m.)
Ponderosa’s website lists such highly esteemed luminaries as Winston Churchill and Ernest Hemingway as fans of the band. Though we can’t verify that, what’s real is this upstart band’s veteran sound. The band’s debut album, “Moonlight Revival,” is a soulful, psychedelic record that will make fans out of older music fans and younger music fans alike. They’ve played festivals like South By Southwest and Houston’s Free Press Summer Fest, and now they’re here to bring their soulful sound to Oxford.

George McConnell and the Nonchalants (4 p.m.)
George McConell, lead guitarist for Widespread Panic, Kudzu Kings and Beanland, is back with a new band that recalls his jam-band roots as well as old-school rock ’n’ roll, country and blues. This guitar master has two decades of tour experience under his belt and gets better with every show. To truly harken back to that old-school sound, he will be releasing “Digital 45s,” complete with A side and B side. He’s even started a “singles only” tour behind these new oldies. This living legend will be rocking our humble town to its very core, so get on your boogie shoes and check out the old-school sounds.

Patterson Hood (5:30 p.m.)
Patterson Hood is one of the three singer/guitarist/songwriters for critically acclaimed alt-country band Drive-By Truckers. He released his second solo album, “Murdering Oscar (And Other Love Songs)” in 2009. Music flows through Patterson’s blood. This record marks his first collaboration with his father David Hood, who produced songs for the Rolling Stones and Willie Nelson. Hood’s new album is a work 15 years in the making and features tales of the ups and downs of his life. His alt-country style is in full force on this emotional album, and his critically acclaimed live show should be the same.

Funky Meters (7 p.m.)
A chance jam at the 1989 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival led to Art Neville, George Porter Jr., members of the legendary funk band The Meters, and Brian Stoltz and Russell Batiste, local New Orleans musicians, forming the Funky Meters, a funky amalgamation with a resume that speaks volumes about their talent and tightness as a live band. Their sound is a great mix of old-school funk and New Orleans vibe (think blues and dance). This is music that’s sure to get your toe tapping, your head nodding and your hips moving, maybe all at the same time.

Mavis Staples (9 p.m.)
Double Decker hit it big this year by recruiting Mavis Staples, member of the legendary Staple Singers, to headline the Caterpillar stage on Saturday. With the Singers, she recorded the timeless hits “I’ll Take You There” and “Respect Yourself,” both featured on the Rolling Stone Top 500 Songs of All Time list. Since then, she’s been releasing powerful solo albums featuring her intense mix of soul and gospel. In 2010, she released the Grammy award-winning “You Are Not Alone,” with Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy at the production helm. She’s been enjoying a career resurgence lately and has been hitting the festival circuit, bringing her highly lauded live show to cities across the U.S.