Rebels in the Pros: Minor Leagues

The minor league baseball season has come to an end with 17 former Rebels on minor league rosters. The Daily Mississippian’s Tyler Bischoff gives an update on how each of the 17 guys did this year.
Addison Dent/The Daily Mississippian

Chris Coghlan – Outfielder – New Orleans Zephyrs (Miami AAA)

Coghlan played 39 games for Miami this season, making at least one start at all three outfield positions. He hit .190 with one home run and 10 RBI in 93 at-bats. He ended the season in New Orleans, Miami’s AAA affiliate, where he hit .284, drove in 31 runs and hit seven home runs in 84 games. He also stole 10 bases in 12 attempts. 

Justin Henry – Outfielder – Toledo Mud Hens (Detroit Tigers AAA)

In his sixth professional season, Henry appeared in 113 games for Toledo. He led his team with a .300 batting average and 22 stolen bases. He also had one home run and 38 RBI.

Matt Maloney – Pitcher – Rochester Red Wings (Minnesota AAA)

Maloney started the season with the Minnesota Twins, totaling 11.0 innings of work in nine appearances. He picked up a win for Minnesota in April, but posted an ERA of 8.18 before being sent down to Minnesota’s AAA affiliate Rochester. Maloney appeared in eight games, including six starts, for Rochester. He finished the year with a 9.38 ERA and a record of 0-4. Maloney hasn’t pitched since June 21 and ended the season on the disabled list.

Cody Overbeck – First Baseman – Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (Philadelphia Phillies AAA)

Overbeck played the entire season in AAA, appearing in 133 games. Overbeck had 71 RBI, which was the sixth most in the International League. He led his team with 14 home runs and 71 RBI and was second with 114 hits and 27 doubles.

Matt Tolbert – Second Baseman – Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs AAA)

After making appearances for the Minnesota Twins in each of the last four seasons, Tolbert played the whole season for the Iowa Cubs, the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. Tolbert hit .240 and had an on-base percentage of .313 in 113 games for Iowa.

Jordan Henry – Outfielder – Akron Aeros (Cleveland Indians AA)

In just 73 games, Henry had 69 hits and a .273 average. He stole eight bases in 12 attempts. In his three-year professional career, Henry has never homered. 

Alex Yarbrough – Second Baseman  - Arkansas Travelers (Los Angeles Angels AA)

In his first professional season, Yarbrough played 58 games for the Los Angeles Angels’ single A team, the Cedar Rapids Kernels. He hit .287 and only struck out 20 times in 244 at-bats. He also had nine stolen bases in 11 attempts. The switch hitter also played five games and ended the season with the AA Arkansas Travelers. He had two hits in 18 at-bats in his brief AA stint. Yarbrough is listed as the Angels' 18th-best prospect.

David Goforth – Pitcher – Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (Milwaukee A) 

In his second professional season, David Goforth led the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers with 10 wins in 28 games. His record was 10-8 on the season. Goforth posted a 4.66 ERA in 150.2 innings. He struck out 93 batters and walked just 63. Goforth is listed as Milwaukee’s 17th-best prospect. 

Matt Snyder – First Baseman – Staten Island Yankees (New York Yankees A)

After being drafted by the Yankees, Snyder began playing for the Staten Island Yankees. Snyder’s .299 batting average was second on the team and 10th in the league. He was also second on the team with 34 RBI. Snyder finished the season with three home runs and 13 doubles in 187 at-bats over 52 games.

Nathan Baker — Pitcher — Altoona Curve (Pittsburgh Pirates AA)

4-7, 1 save, 4.94 ERA, 77 strikeouts

Tim Ferguson — Outfielder — Wilmington Blue Rocks (Kansas City A Advanced)

.283, 5 HRs, 40 RBI, 14 SB

Matt Tracy — Pitcher — Tampa Yankees (New York Yankees A Advanced)

5-7, 3.27 ERA, 64 Strikeouts, 2 complete games

Austin Wright — Pitcher — Clearwater Threshers (Philadelphia Phillies A Advanced)

11-5, 3.47 ERA, 133 strikeouts

Aaron Barrett — Pitcher — Salt River Rafters (Washington Nationals A)

3-2, 16 saves, 2.60 ERA, 52 strikeouts

Dylan Chavez — Pitcher — Greenville Drive (Boston Red Sox A)

1-2, 9.00 ERA, 20 strikeouts 

Matt Crouse – Pitcher – Lakeland Flying Tigers (Detroit Tigers A)

8-2, 1.91 ERA, 6 saves, 47 strikeouts

R.J. Hively — Pitcher — Yakima Bears (Arizona Diamondbacks Class A Short Season)

1-0, 1.76 ERA, 4 saves, 28 strikeouts

For continuing coverage of Ole Miss sports, follow @thedm_sports and @Tyler_RSR on Twitter.