Recruiting Update: Rebels have six commitments for 2013 class

Austin McAfee/The Daily Mississippian

After signing day 2012 was complete, the new Ole Miss coaching staff turned its full attention to the 2013 recruiting class. So far, the Rebels have fared well on recruiting trail, reeling in six verbal commitments heading into May. Here’s a look at the players they have committed:

Antonio Allen

Safety

Rivals.com: 4-star

Scout.com: 4-star

The most recent Ole Miss commitment, Allen is an undersized safety who is known as a hard-hitter with good speed. The 5-foot-10, 195-pounder committed to Ole Miss over claimed offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Wisconsin and others. The Indianapolis native racked up 114 tackles and one interception as a junior. The Rebels are incredibly thin at safety, and Allen could see early playing time in 2013. 

Eugene Brazely 

Running Back

Rivals.com: 3-star

Scout.com: Not ranked

Ole Miss has had success landing players out of Louisiana such as Brandon Bolden and Kentrell Lockett. A New Orleans native, Brazley could be the Rebels’ next big get from the state. The 5-foot-10, 175-pounder committed to Ole Miss during a junior day in February over an offer from Tennessee. A speed back, Brazley could use his elite speed both in the backfield and in the slot at the collegiate level. 

Dannon Cavil

Wide Receiver

Rivals.com: 3-star

Scout.com: 3-star

The Rebels lack a tall receiver who can go up and catch the football, but the 6-foot-5, 205-pound Cavil looks like he could fill that role quite well for Ole Miss. Another out-of-state commitment, Cavil plays his high school ball in San Antonio, Texas. He committed to Ole Miss over offers from Baylor, California, Clemson, Mississippi State and South Carolina. Cavil missed almost all of his junior season due to injury but recorded 21 catches for 425 yards and five touchdowns. 

Marquel Combs

Defensive Tackle 

Rivals.com: Not ranked

Scout.com: Not ranked

Defensive tackle is a position of need for Ole Miss in the 2013 class, as they will lose seniors Uriah Grant and Gilbert Pena to graduation after the year. To fix this, Ole Miss struck quickly and landed a commitment from Combs, who is one of the top junior college players in the country. He had 34 tackles, 10 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks last season at Pierce Community College in California. A Memphis native, Combs had offers from all over the country before committing to Ole Miss, including Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and others. He should be able to step in and play immediately in 2013.

Davion Johnson

Offensive Tackle

Rivals.com: 3-star

Scout.com: 3-star

The only commitment Ole Miss has from the state of Mississippi, Johnson, a Byhalia native, chose the Rebels over Mississippi State and Southern Miss. Even at 6-foot-4, 315 pounds, Johnson has quick enough feet to likely stick at tackle at the college level. Offensive line is one of the bigger needs for the Rebels in 2013, and Johnson signifies a good start recruiting for the position. He was the first 2013 commitment for head coach Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss. 

Christopher Robinson

Defensive Tackle 

Rivals.com: 4-star

Scout.com: Not ranked

Another Louisiana product, Robinson committed to Ole Miss over Mississippi State. As a junior, Robinson recorded 40 tackles and 12 sacks at Woodlawn High School in Shreveport. The 6-foot-2, 270-pound tackle pairs with Combs to give the Rebels a solid duo of incoming tackles for 2013.