Sky Shelton to perform at the Lyric on Sept. 22

Sky Shelton, an aspiring musician and song writer, will make his debut at The Lyric on Thursday. 

The concert will be centered around the release of his new album, “New Sound Old Soul.”

His first album will be released the same day as his concert, and Shelton hopes he can reach his goal with Oxford’s support.

At age nine Shelton began playing bass. Soon after, he was playing in a Christian band with his father, Joe Shelton, traveling to youth camps and churches all over the South.

In 2010, he decided to pursue a degree in computer science while still pursuing his music dream on the side.

“My degree — hopefully have it as a back up plan to music,” Shelton said. “You always got to have something, music is not as stable as people would like it to be. When you mention you are a musician, you get the eye rolls instantly even though you are talented or you have been in music your whole life, and actually have done some things that have made a living.”

Born a preacher’s son in the Mississippi Delta, Shelton had the opportunity to travel and play with Christian bands throughout his career.

His father has played guitar for artists like Percy Sledge, The Drifters, The Shirelles and toured as the opening act for the Zombies during the ‘60s. 

Shelton had the opportunity to open for well-known artists like Jason Mraz and Nappy Roots.

Shelton also wrote the music and popular rifts of all Rhymes with Orange’s songs. They were popular in Oxford after winning Ole Miss’ Battle of the Bands in 2003 and had the No. 8 most requested song on Rebel Radio.

Shelton has always been an Ole Miss fan and never saw himself as a prospective student because of his confidence in making a career in Nashville.

Shelton will travel to each SEC city throughout the school year promoting his new album, while proudly calling Oxford his home.

He would like to land on the Billboard charts the first week his album releases.  To accomplish this, he only needs to sell 1,000 albums on iTunes during the first week his album releases. 

“One of my friends Andrew Mendelson masters everybody’s music,” Shelton said. “He has mastered people from Mariah Carey to the NBA Allstar Game. And, if I make the Billboard charts then it’s kind of downhill from there so I’m hoping Ole Miss can support me in it.”

Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 8:30 p.m. Come out and support your fellow rebel and help him reach his goal.