Wade Removed from Senate ballot

Todd Wade was removed from the general election ballot in Senate District 9 by the Mississippi Election Commission on Tuesday.

Wade was unavailable for comment Tuesday afternoon. However, in an Associated Press article, Wade said he has not decided whether or not he will appeal being removed from the ballot.

“I feel like I’m kind of a scapegoat for bad business in the secretary of state’s office,” Wade said in the article.  

The election commission voted 2-1 to remove Wade from the ballot after Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann announced that there was no proof in public records that Wade had been a registered voter in Mississippi for at least four years.

Any candidate for state senator must be a registered voter in the state for at least four years, according to the Mississippi Constitution.

Hosemann and Democratic Attorney General Jim Hood were the two who voted to remove Wade from the ballot, Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant, who voted in the place of Gov. Haley Barbour was the lone voter who wished for Wade to remain on the ballot. Barbour was out of town.

Records provided by Hosemann’s staff show that Wade registered to vote in Lafayette County just last September. Wade claimed he originally registered to vote 15 years ago in Rankin County but that he did not vote.

Neither the Secretary of State’s Office nor the office of the attorney general was able to find any record of his registration.

This comes as good news to four-term Democratic Sen. Gray Tollison of Oxford, whom Wade was hoping to challenge in the Nov. 8 election.

If Wade does not appeal, then Tollison will be reelected due to the lack of a third party or independent candidate.

District 9 is comprised of parts of Lafayette, Tallahatchie and Yalobusha counties.
Wade was a star football player at Ole Miss from 1996-99, earning first team All-SEC and second team All-American in 1999.

He was a second-round draft pick by the Miami Dolphins in 2000.